The (S)cream is an advanced diode overdrive that develops the sonic potential of the classic small green box :
Its sound comes from the TS9, but not exclusively centered on midrange: The (S)cream can as well recover the sound of 1975-85, recall the nervous grain of the first Black Face amps, or generate a contemporary overdrive …
The (S)cream — Basic version and *** version.
The Tube Screamer® family were a turning point in the late 70s, and remains a reference.
The narrow bandwidth made it possible to overdrive the most shrill amps without breaking one’s ears. Furthermore, especially since pure nickel strings became rare, skinny guitars could get some dense colours again.
However, its limits in treble and bass could be frustrating in some cases : Lack of clarity with humbucker or archtop guitars, lack of bottom for heavy strings lovers. It is by thinking of these critics, and while respecting the original genius of the TS9, that I upgraded the little green beast.
Operational amplifier with diode negative feedback.
• 3 tone presets :
— Classic (= TS9)
— Brite (sharper)
— Deep (wider bandwidth)
• Customizable and adjustable diode array.
The (S)cream is designed to operate with a 7 to 12V supply.
(Internal 9V battery, or external power supply. Coaxial jack of 2.1mm, negative center).
An internal electronic filter eliminates residual noises from the power supply :
Hiss from switching power supplies ; hum from poorly filtered transformer supplies.
• Common settings of classic overdrive pedals : Drive, Tone, Volume.
• Guitar Poppa adds 3 tone presets :
– Classic : the classic TS9® tone is slightly less damped treble.
– Brite : low frequencies are still lightened, but treble is recovered !
– Deep : wide bandwidth, with actual bass and treble.
• Customizable diode array : choose when ordering.
• All functions of the basic version, as described above.
• Tone preset switch as in basic version, but reported on the left side of the box.
• Guitar Poppa adds a new Texture control :
– Double array combining 2 types of diodes : Silicon + Germanium ; or LEDs + Silicon.
– Texture knob on front panel, mixing the specific effects of the two diode arrays.
A *** version equipped with a JRC4558D, and a compound silicon and led diode array.
The purple leads are connected to the Texture potentiometer.
Choose the diodes
5 options are available — just click when ordering…
Diodes with germanium : soft and compact compression
• They cause specifically a soft grain and a tight dynamic due to their low saturation level.
Silicon Diodes : classic overdrive for a 70s rock / blues sound.
• They cause specifically the grainy and somewhat dark sound from the years 70-80.
Leds : sharp tone and large headroom, for today’s blues, rock or pop.
• They cause a specifical vigorous and colorful sound, with moderately saturated peaks.
Silicium >< Germanium combination : to mix roughness and tight compression
• Silicon causes roughness and harmonics, with a moderate compression.
• Germanium rounds this texture and tightens more the dynamics …
Leds >< Silicium combination : the best to mix crunch and dynamics
• LEDs preserve a colorful and incisive sound before coming into saturation.
• Silicon diodes compress this clear headroom and bring a more bushy texture.
To order :
1. Specify the diodes
2. Specify the shipping zone.
3. Click ‹add to cart›
4. Click ‘Cart’ on main menu to finalize the ordering.
Price down : €109
• Features such as shown on this page.
• Choose the OpAmp and the diode array by clicking on the option buttons below.
Price down : €129
• All functions of the basic version.
• Tone preset switch as in basic version, but reported on the left side of the housing.
• Texture knob on the front panel to adjust the effects of diodes.
• Choose the diode array by clicking on the option buttons below.
To know more :